October 2022 Update
The Transition Team was formed to help facilitate the work that the congregation will undertake during this interim period. Working with Rev. Ben, we initially identified seven Goals for Interim Ministry, or Transition Team Goals:
1) Process recent trauma and what is needed to regain trust
2) Explore with the congregation how to be committed to both freedom and equity
3) Practice skills for direct, compassionate communication when there is conflict, and what to do when direct communication doesn’t work
4) Address over-functioning volunteers and how to spread the work
5) Become a more active presence in Hillsboro, including in justice work
6) Celebrate our history, our gifts, and who we want to be
7) Deepen relationships with UUs beyond our congregation
This Spring, the Transition Team began an evaluation process, looking at our Goals and our interim process and where we (Rev. Ben and the congregation) stand against those Goals. This report presents for each Goal:
Synopsis – where we stand, to what degree have we progressed toward this Goal?
Recommendations – what can we do or continue to do to progress toward this Goal?
There are important points to note:
- Goals and Recommendations are dynamic – they should and will change over time, and progress will likely take a circuitous rather than linear route as we learn from our experience. This report represents a snapshot of thoughts that apply now, and the recommendations are possible approaches the congregation could take towards each goal.
- These recommendations are too much for us to do at one time, and they will require engagement in the process by people from all parts of the congregation. We hope to do what we can when we are able to – while we continue to prioritize dynamically.
- Rev. Ben, the Transition Team, and the Board need your thoughts! Please connect with Rev. Ben or any Transition Team or Board member. We’d love to hear your insights, ideas, and what matters to you.
A Transition Team member will be reaching out to each of the committees and teams to review the recommendations and ask how each group can participate in our interim work. We look forward to continuing our Interim journey together and we hope to hear from each of you!
Your Transition Team: Rev. Ben, Anne Dale, Bill Ellis, Jay Hamlin, Ali Luey, and Jean Powers
Questions? Concerns? We want to hear them! Contact one of us individually, email TransitionTeam@uuccwc.groups.io, or seek out any of the Transition Team members for a conversation. If you are on groups.io, you can also access the full report here.
The Transition Team meets the 2nd Saturday of each month, 9:30-11 am on UUCCWCZoom2. The zoom link will also be on the church calendar for anyone to join if you would like to hear firsthand about the work.
Your Transition Team,
Bill Ellis, Co-chair; Jean Powers, Co-chair; Rev. Ben Robins, Minister and Liaison to the Board of Trustees; Ali Luey; Anne Dale; Jay Hamlin
What is Interim Ministry?
… and how does the Transition Team support it?
Three general goals of interim ministry
- Come to terms with the past (celebrate the good; process the challenging)
-this will happen in Sunday services, workshops, listening circles, informal conversations, etc.
- Be together in the present (melt the honey)
-this will happen in Sunday services, special events, covenant groups, justice actions, etc.
- Dream and plan for the future
-this will happen in visioning sessions in the final year of interim ministry.
Goals specific to UUCCWC
(These can change throughout the interim period)
- Process recent trauma (of the last year, and the ending of the last settled ministry) and what is needed to regain trust
- Explore with the congregation how to be committed to both freedom and equity
- Practice skills for direct, compassionate communication when there is conflict, and what to do when direct communication doesn’t work.
- Address over-functioning volunteers and how to spread the work
- Become a more active presence in Hillsboro, including in justice work.
- Celebrate our history, our gifts, and who we want to be
- Deepen relationships with UUs beyond our congregation
Main roles of the Transition Team
- Have the pulse of the congregation. How are people doing as we move through interim ministry?
- Meet monthly with the interim minister to share the pulse of the congregation and together we figure out what the congregation most needs as interim work and how best to do it
- Educate the congregation about interim, and encourage the congregation to engage in the interim work (especially those in leadership positions).